Vera Sweeney of Lady and the Blog worked with the NexGard® (afoxolaner) team to create the following post for ItsADog.com.
Congratulations – it’s a dog! What a wonderful milestone you’ve hit. You’ve welcomed a brand new puppy into the house and everyone is so thrilled to bring him or her into the fold. I know the feeling. Believe me, I do. We had the pleasure of welcoming two adorable little puppies into our lives and they truly changed our lives for the better. The pictures I’m sharing today are from the very first day we brought Jack and Jill home. I remember buying them those baby blankets. What an incredibly special day for my husband and me. It is truly such a joyous act – to add a dog to a family.
Well, that little pooch is going to need a few things, right? Where to start? Where to start! Lucky for you, I know exactly the place. The NexGard team has launched an online pet gift registry – just in time for your pup’s arrival.
(Look at that phone! 2001 in the house.)
There are so many “first-time” decisions you will make as a new pet owner. You’ll need to figure out what puppy bed will work best for your breed, whether or not you’re going to let the new puppy on the couch, and what kind of food you are going to bring home. Decisions! Decisions! The NexGard team wants to help families welcome their new dogs into their homes and make the transition a little easier. At ItsADog.com, new and experienced dog owners can find pet advice and register for the essentials. I wish I had this help when we brought Jack and Jill home. We literally bought whatever the pet storeowner told us to buy… and, of course, it tallied to over $600. I will never forget it. We were in our early 20s and completely naive. He told us our dogs needed three different kinds of squeaky toys and so we went with it. ARGH. ItsADog.com is a great resource for new pet owners and seasoned pet owners alike!
Be sure to visit ItsADog.com today. It will become your one stop shop for tips and information on how to help keep your dog healthy, as well as how to help protect him from fleas and ticks with the use of a flea and tick control product like once-monthly NexGard. NexGard is an FDA-approved beef-flavored chewable, proven safe and effective for use in dogs and puppies eight weeks of age or older, weighing four pounds or more.
After those first few days with Jack & Jill, I learned a lot! If you’re thinking about bringing a new puppy home, here are a few tips:
- Decide where you want your puppy to sleep and set up their bed in that area. It’s all about routine, so map this out before you get your new puppy home.
- Your dog will need his/her own blankets. When mine were little, I actually bought them baby blankets and kept them in their bed. This was a great way for them to nuzzle themselves to sleep.
- Puppy proof your floorplan. If you don’t want it to break, move it. Be sure to lock up any cabinets that have harsh chemicals, too.
- Consider investing in stain remover because … life can get messy.
- I set up gates on my stairs for the first few months because I wanted to be sure that the dogs wouldn’t accidentally fall down a flight of stairs. You might want to consider doing the same.
- Do you have children? Set some ground rules. Puppies are not play dolls. Repeat after me: puppies are not play dolls.
- Don’t forget about tags and collars. Never leave home without them. I always have an extra set just in case.
- Grooming at home should happen on a consistent basis. Your pooch needs shampoo, a toothbrush, dog toothpaste, and a comb for their hair.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION:
NexGard is for use in dogs only. The most frequently reported adverse reactions include vomiting, itching, diarrhea, lethargy and lack of appetite. The safe use of NexGard in pregnant, breeding or lactating dogs has not been evaluated. Use with caution in dogs with a history of seizures. For more information, contact your veterinarian or see the prescribing information.
Merial worked with bloggers like me for its It’s a Dog! program. This blog has been written by me on behalf of Merial, the maker of NexGard. Merial is now part of Boehringer Ingelheim. I received compensation for my time.